Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Peter Rabit bowl



Last week I had my friends over for dinner. Just as they were about to arrive, I was taking the bread out of the oven when I realized I needed a serving dish. I reached to the top shelf and carefully removed the bottom-most bowl. What I didn't think, was that there would be anything in that bottom bowl once I lifted everything above it. But there was. There were 2 smaller bowls in it that fell and broke as I tried to get it down. Of course, what broke was among 3 of the most important pieces in my cabinet. My Peter Rabbit Bowl.

This three-piece, Wedgewood china set I have had forever. I remember eating from them on special occasions when Mom would have the table set fancy, and I would have my own Peter Rabbit version of fancy. I always felt special eating out of these and looked forward to passing them on. I feel great joy watching Evan use them and could see my own grandchildren eating from them. It's nice to have something that belonged to someone else. I love using my Grandma's china for that very reason, there's history there. It's a link to those before us. THEY used this.

Thankfully though, these three dishes don't just sit on the shelf. They actually get used. Over the past year or so, Evan has had cereal from that bowl on countless mornings and had milk from the cup.

As this bowl crashed to the counter, my body turned hot, I started to sweat. That feeling that, 'it's too late now' and 'how do I fix this' all at once. I'm thankful that I am the one who broke the bowl. Not Evan. Not Mark. ME! Not knowing what to do, I gathered the pieces in a cup and put them in the pantry. They are still there. I know they are probably destined for the garbage but it seems a little early do to that yet. I felt like I did the year the Christmas tree came crashing down a few years ago while decorating, and of course the only ornament that broke, was from Evan's 1st Christmas. Just an ornament, I know, but so much more than just an ornament. (I kept all the pieces, in a tin, that's with the Christmas stuff and look at every year.) A blue, broken, blown-glass rattle. Not Hallmark. Special. Still makes my eyes water. The bowl is like that.



And so I focus on what is left. 2 pieces for Evan to enjoy. The cup and plate. The cup is really cute because there are a bunch of painted carrots at the bottom of the cup. I always looked forward to drinking all of my milk to watch those carrots appear. Evan is the same way.

So, while it is Wedgewood china, and although these are 'special' I still want to enjoy them. That's the whole purpose.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I am so sorry! I have a very similar set and like you, we actually use it. But as a child it was very special and only brought out once in awhile.
It's like Naomi said, china is not for special occasions, it's for special people. That bowl has been used by many special people ... time to focus on using that plate.

Followers