Today Evan asked the big question, "Will you play with me?" When I asked what we would play, he said we could play camper. When I asked how to play camper he said he didn't know but he had an idea. (Pause) He got out the Tinker toys and asked me to build the same old airplane he always wants me to build. (The one pictured on the can.)
I told Evan that HE could build it and he insisted that he didn't know how. Step by step I pointed at the can and asked, "What color is that," and "What is connected to this..." And don't you know, he made the whole airplane all by himself. He quickly caught on to the whole process and after a few steps that were coached by me, he was looking at that can, step after step, and then finding the right piece. I have to say that looking at the can is even challenging for me. There is no step-by-step set of directions, it's just a picture of the finished product and the picture is all of 3 inches big, tops.
I know Evan was so proud of this plane since HE built it. I have built it several times in the past and once it was done, it got little attention. THIS plane has been flown all around, shown to neighbors and is still on display on the floor in the living room. There is something to be said for PRIDE in doing something for yourself. I know I sure was proud as he looked at the picture and figured it out on his own. Way to go Evan!



No comments:
Post a Comment