Thursday, September 11, 2008

Quiet time

The last couple of weeks have brought some challenges. Talking back, time outs, etc. Today has been great.

The other day when I was teaching him about talking back (after he'd lost the privilege of playing outside) he told ME, "It hurts my feelings when you act like this." I couldn't laugh even though I thought it was funny in a cute sort of way. Here I am being the parent and he is telling me he doesn't like when I "act" like this.

Anyway, I'd begun to notice that come 4 o'clock those little eyes look so very tired and we're a good 4 hours from bedtime! So I took the advice of friend to have "quite time".

With a new school year and a new routine, I told Evan, "Starting today, we'll have snack after school and then quiet time for 30 minutes in your room." I told him I would read one book and then leave him be. Yesterday was our first day. When I asked what he wanted to do with his 30 minutes of quiet time he said, "Sleep." And sleep he did. It was even hard to wake him. He was a happier kid the rest of the day!

Today is in there playing with some of his musical animals and his cash register. He' doing his quiet little jibber jabber in a sing song sort of way. Good quiet down time is the key. So far, so good.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Yea! May this continue ...

Followers