Wednesday, September 9, 2009

One for the memory books...

Here it is, first day of school. 9-8-09. Kindergarten. Evan had been excited in the weeks and days leading up to this, but when the morning finally came around, Evan said, "I'm nervous. I don't want to go. I don't want to ride the bus." This is what he said the first time of aqua camp, Vacation Bible Camp, and even sports camp. The fear of the unfamiliar I guess. I told him it's normal, and we moved on.
By the time we were outside for these pictures, Evan was getting excited. He wasn't sure if he wanted to ride the bus but was willing to go to the bus stop with us to check it out.

The parents are all invited to share the entire morning with the kids, and so very few kids rode the bus. How few? Well 2. Evan and Makenna. She was the only one waiting at the bus stop that is a few miles from our home. (We are fortunate that there are a couple of pick up and drop off location to get him out to his charter school.) So Evan and Makenna, who is in his class, became fast friends and waited for the bus to show.


There he goes. Walking to the bus for the first time ever! Way to go Evan!

Thankful for the opportunity for a kiss and picture for this moment. Had there been more kids, I wouldn't have had the chance!



VIP seating for Makenna and Evan. Can you imagine? The whole bus to yourself. They watched the many animals that the bus passes on the way to their school. Evan loved that there were THREE emergency exits and even one in the ROOF! He is looking forward to riding the bus again.

Everyone met in the gym first thing. All grades, K-7. I think Evan might be thinking, "Yup, she's the one. She's my sweetie pie for the year!" (At the end of the day I asked Evan if he had found a new favorite friend and he replied..."Who do you think! Makenna!")

I had a feeling that Evan might be drawn to the giant size Lincoln logs that are on the playground. The boys were making life size forts while Evan tested his balancing abilities. Pretty cool stuff.

The day was a hit and Evan is excited to ride the bus again next week when school resumes for Kindergarten. He told Makenna..."I'll see you there." I think it's great that they found each other, that they were the only two and that each gave courage to the other. Today Evan had a 30 minute appointment to get to know his teacher one on one. I waited outside wondering...wishing I was a fly on the wall. I am not the teacher now, I am the mommy.
Evan was proud to show me the spot on the boot shelf where his Monster Truck rubber boots are. Play in the mud, it's okay at this school. He's going to love it here.








No comments:

Followers