Like yesterday, I can see our guests carrying umbrellas as they took their outdoor seats, and the rain stopped long enough for us to say our vows that summer day in 2001. Look how pretty it looks all dressed up at night!
I tried to explain to Evan that this is where I walked down, and over there is where the chairs were set up, but honestly he was more interested in seeing if there were fish in the pond and exploring the waterfall. He's six!
Trees were decorated in the hall and the tables were set ready for the next party. The chandeliers were as beautiful as I had remembered and I fell in love with this place all over again.
Off to the Winter Solstice Celebration. This year both fleets of ships are scheduled to come down the Willamette River at the same time and there's a party going on. The biggest bonfire I have ever seen was ablaze and hundreds gathered around to sing along with carolers. It was my kind of fun. Then we all walked down to the river and watched the parade of ships all dressed up with holidays lights. There must have been 50 boats and though the viewing was great for us, the pictures don't adequately show how terrific it was. www.christmasships.org
One of the favorites every year is the boat decked out like a fire truck. Bells, whistles and all. They announced that this was the 56th year of this tradition. Love it! This was such a great night. I wished my mom had been here because she would have loved it!
Then Evan and I braved the crowds on Peacock Lane. All 40 or so houses that line both sides of the street in Portland, have been decorating since 1929. I heard someone say that there's a contract that if you purchase a home on Peacock Lane that you will participate in this 80 year tradition. Let me paint a picture for you...traffic is backed up for miles. You can drive down the street or you can park and walk, which is a better idea. www.peacocklane.net suggests that you park at Walgreen's and walk. I'm sure Walgreen's appreciates having zero spots open in their lot for customers. Cars are lined up in the lot just waiting for someone to leave. Policemen are directing traffic, cars are NOT moving, and families are walking the streets to get to Peacock Lane. Not your idea of fun? It's mine. Once you get to the sidewalk on Peacock Lane, it's so full with folks who had the same great idea, that there too, you will have to wait to walk! It's like a line for the newest ride at an amusement park. Locals have set up displays and are selling hot chocolate right there on the sidewalk. You can even take a ride in a horse drawn carriage! It couldn't be more festive and everyone knows that this is the last great night of mild, dry weather before the rain shows up.
Evan and I found a place and started walking. He hadn't been in a few years and didn't remember it. This year he was all about taking pictures of every single house on the street. He loved it. Mission accomplished!






No comments:
Post a Comment