Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Thank you Evan

Teacher Kellie asked me if I could take home the kids' folders and glue in their picture from September. I guess this folder will become a collection of projects that we'll get to have at some point.

I opened the first folder. The first page of every folder has a page that says, "I am special because...." and there there is a circle that is to be made into a face with hair and eyes and all the details. I wondered what Evan had said and what is picture looked like.

Evan's was the second folder I came to. I opened and read...

"I am special because I have my Mom."
And there's a drawn picture of Evan with purple hair and a purple everything for that matter. Eyes, nose, mouth. I read it again, "I am special because I have my Mom." How great it that?! I think I am special because I have him. It's pretty significant to be loved, and the fact that THAT love makes someone else feel special is remarkable.
Later in the stack I came to a few other responses that made what Evan said even more special.
T- "I am special because my Grandma dresses me."
and
J- "I am special because I have a babysitter."
I know the children who are these authors and I happen to know that Mom is either a full time working Mom, or is just not present in this child's life. In any case, I am thankful that I am not the Mom who is missing out on my child's life. I am thankful that I will not open up Evan's folder and read about a babysitter. It would break my heart, and it will break hers I am sure. (Evan can write about Grandma all he wants though!)
Thank you Evan for being you.

No comments:

Followers