I hope that when Evan is a grown man with children of his own he will still be talking about the time his first grade teacher came to dinner. Not only did he come for dinner, Mr. Jon and Evan played, and played, and played!
It all started when Mr. Jon sent home an email stating that he doesn't attend birthday parties but he does accept dinner invitations and after school snack dates. I knew we'd have him over, but I didn't know it would be so soon. Evan came home and said, "Sophie had Mr. Jon for dinner! When can we have him over?" I got on it, and we confirmed a date.
What to fix? I asked Evan what my very best meal that I make is, and he said, "Spaghetti and Meatballs." I don't think it's my best, but it's good, and my family is crazy about it. Evan calls it, 'Spaghetti with a Chance of Meatballs,' so that is what I fixed and Evan's little hands helped to create those meatballs. I also fixed a salad and my yummy chocolate cake - 4 layers of heaven.
Evan painted a sign to hang on the front of the house. I think I might have even been more excited about this special guest than any other guest we've had before, (besides grandparents visiting of course!) I mean, when you're in first grade you're old enough to remember this stuff. I remember stuff from first grade and I know for sure that Mrs. Hadley, awesome as she was, never came for dinner to my house. Evan will never forget this.
Mr. Jon arrived around 5:30 and stayed 'til nearly 8. Evan had much to show Mr. Jon and so he quickly took Mr. Jon from one thing to the next. Evan was on the trampoline when Mr. Jon arrived so Mr. Jon, being the big kid that he is, hopped on and started bouncing. I gave him permission to 'have at it,' and then he really started jumping. I laughed so hard just watching the two of them, and the look on Evan's face was priceless. Here he was on his trampoline with his teacher.
Then it was off to the creek. Mr. Jon had heard lots about the creek that Evan spends so much time at. But, since it had been so dry, there really wasn't much to see. Only now, a couple week later is the stream back and flowing!
Evan wanted to show Mr. Jon his bedroom. While up there they played 'straws and connectors,' with Evan's electric train set, and explored his magnetic gears set. Then Evan got out his little Playmobile camper that he loves and gave Mr. Jon the little plastic lady. "Here, you be her."
In his best high-pitched voice, Mr. Jon said, "Oh yeah, I have a flowered dress on! Hey, I need to use your potty...Can I use the potty in your camper?" Too funny, this grown 6 foot 6 man, laying on his belly, playing with my son, really playing. It was sight to see. I luv my kid's teacher. :)
Of course, Evan had to turn on the jukebox, dance a little, and be silly. Then it was time for dinner where we learned about Mr. Jon's family, where he grew up and got to know him so much better. I love learning the personal stuff about people in our lives.
During dinner Evan asked if Mr. Jon wanted to play basketball outside after dinner. It was already dark, I mean pitch-dark, but Mr. Jon said yes. So, we all went outside and watched as Mr. Jon and Evan played basketball in the dark, then Frisbee, and then ...Mr. Jon showed Evan his VAN. Cool stuff. The engine is under the driver's seat! Oh, Evan would have had Mr. Jon stay all night, but it was finally time to call it day. We went Mr. Jon home with high fives, hugs, cake, and yes, the Welcome Mr. Jon banner that Evan painted. The memory of this day still makes me smile and likely always will.
The next day Mr. Jon sent home a wonderful thank you card. It's something I will keep in Evan's keepsakes forever. (We sent one to Mr. Jon too. How do you express appreciation for such a special moment? Words don't do it justice.)
It all started when Mr. Jon sent home an email stating that he doesn't attend birthday parties but he does accept dinner invitations and after school snack dates. I knew we'd have him over, but I didn't know it would be so soon. Evan came home and said, "Sophie had Mr. Jon for dinner! When can we have him over?" I got on it, and we confirmed a date.
What to fix? I asked Evan what my very best meal that I make is, and he said, "Spaghetti and Meatballs." I don't think it's my best, but it's good, and my family is crazy about it. Evan calls it, 'Spaghetti with a Chance of Meatballs,' so that is what I fixed and Evan's little hands helped to create those meatballs. I also fixed a salad and my yummy chocolate cake - 4 layers of heaven.
Evan painted a sign to hang on the front of the house. I think I might have even been more excited about this special guest than any other guest we've had before, (besides grandparents visiting of course!) I mean, when you're in first grade you're old enough to remember this stuff. I remember stuff from first grade and I know for sure that Mrs. Hadley, awesome as she was, never came for dinner to my house. Evan will never forget this.
Mr. Jon arrived around 5:30 and stayed 'til nearly 8. Evan had much to show Mr. Jon and so he quickly took Mr. Jon from one thing to the next. Evan was on the trampoline when Mr. Jon arrived so Mr. Jon, being the big kid that he is, hopped on and started bouncing. I gave him permission to 'have at it,' and then he really started jumping. I laughed so hard just watching the two of them, and the look on Evan's face was priceless. Here he was on his trampoline with his teacher.
Then it was off to the creek. Mr. Jon had heard lots about the creek that Evan spends so much time at. But, since it had been so dry, there really wasn't much to see. Only now, a couple week later is the stream back and flowing!
Evan wanted to show Mr. Jon his bedroom. While up there they played 'straws and connectors,' with Evan's electric train set, and explored his magnetic gears set. Then Evan got out his little Playmobile camper that he loves and gave Mr. Jon the little plastic lady. "Here, you be her."
In his best high-pitched voice, Mr. Jon said, "Oh yeah, I have a flowered dress on! Hey, I need to use your potty...Can I use the potty in your camper?" Too funny, this grown 6 foot 6 man, laying on his belly, playing with my son, really playing. It was sight to see. I luv my kid's teacher. :)
Of course, Evan had to turn on the jukebox, dance a little, and be silly. Then it was time for dinner where we learned about Mr. Jon's family, where he grew up and got to know him so much better. I love learning the personal stuff about people in our lives.
During dinner Evan asked if Mr. Jon wanted to play basketball outside after dinner. It was already dark, I mean pitch-dark, but Mr. Jon said yes. So, we all went outside and watched as Mr. Jon and Evan played basketball in the dark, then Frisbee, and then ...Mr. Jon showed Evan his VAN. Cool stuff. The engine is under the driver's seat! Oh, Evan would have had Mr. Jon stay all night, but it was finally time to call it day. We went Mr. Jon home with high fives, hugs, cake, and yes, the Welcome Mr. Jon banner that Evan painted. The memory of this day still makes me smile and likely always will.
The next day Mr. Jon sent home a wonderful thank you card. It's something I will keep in Evan's keepsakes forever. (We sent one to Mr. Jon too. How do you express appreciation for such a special moment? Words don't do it justice.)



No comments:
Post a Comment