Friday, October 23, 2009

Swine Flu - not a very pretty name

So, for those who don't know...that's what we have. Went to the doctor's office yesterday because my breathing was so compromised. She said she's seeing one case after the next. They can only treat symptoms and I am happy for the treatment...an inhaler, nasal spray for clear breathing, and some Prethesone for healing breathing problems. (Asthma sufferers beware, this one will get ya!) I am feeling huge relief from the breathing problems already. I have been free of fever for days while the respiratory stuff persists.

For those following our story...

Friday 10/20 - first coughs for me and they are they're every day...
Saturday -fever and chills for me
Sunday -fever, chills, headache, major body aches for me. Mark starts day 1.
Monday - Evan starts on day 1.
Tuesday - Everyone still has fevers and the works. (I thought I was better but I wasn't.)
Wednesday - Only Evan has a fever. We all suffer from the cough and exhaustion.
Thursday - I see the doctor and am diagnosed with Swine Flu. Nobody has a fever. I start Rx.
Friday - Evan has a fever again! His cough is worse. Mark's cough is worse. My breathing is better but cough is bad. Mark and Evan are napping.

We have all been in one form of Pj's or another for the week. I've showered only to put them back on. Today Mark brought out the 2000 piece Coca-Cola puzzle and set up the dining room table with every leaf in it, plus a card table to sort the pieces. Evan is not only interested, but good at puzzles. He decided his job is to make all of the Coke trucks in the picture.



We eat, we play, we do puzzles, we nap. We cough in unison. Oh, and we carved a pumpkin. If anyone was here who didn't have the cough they would want to say ENOUGH ALREADY - YOU'RE DRIVING ME CRAZY, but when we're all in together, it's not nearly as annoying!

Good thing this week was no school Wednesday, Thursday and Friday due to conferences! Evan only ended up missing Tuesday this week since he came home with the fever on Monday. Oh, we never did get to the conference, yet.



Similar to the ceramic pumpkin light that Auntie Pat made for Evan a few years ago, we borrowed the idea for the mouth and eyes and did our own STAR nose. It came out so cute and looks great when we tested it in the darkness of the bathroom.

This week has felt like last winter when we got snowed in and couldn't go anywhere anyway so deal with it! It feels so funny for all of us to play hooky, but it's also been good for all of us to take care of the rest of us. Evan is great at taking other people's temperature and we're all good about covering up anyone who is asleep. If someone is laying on the bed, and it looks like a good idea, you can crawl in too. Group nap.

The very good news is, once we've had it, we're done with this flu and we're glad. Several days ago I said I would rather have this than the 'both ends flu' but after 7 days of this, I am thinking I would have liked a much shorter-lived flu. You know, you puke a couple times and you know you're going to be better. This one is sort of like....ha ha, you thought you were better but you're NOT. How about a fever again? Deeper cough? More difficult breathing?! It's yours. And you thought this was going to be easier than the other flu? HA!

No comments:

Followers