Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inaugeration


Yes, I watched. I watched and thought that THIS must be bigger than when Kennedy was sworn in. This must be bigger than anything else we've seen. Brokaw and all the rest certainly said they had never seen anything like it. If they hadn't. I know I haven't. So I sat and took it in.

Evan watched with me. I pointed out this would be the first President that he would remember. I referred to him as the 'man in the red tie', and made no mention as to the fact that he was the first black President as I didn't want to even indicate that the color of one's skin makes a difference. If he hasn't noticed, why should I bring it to his attention. He's understand the relevance someday. Plus, Evan was really more interested in the motorcade than the little history lesson that I was giving.

Evan took a picture of President Obama to school and gave it to his teacher. This opened up a current events discussion. The teacher would later tell me, that in this nice, small class of just 14 kids, one said, "Obama is a bad man because he kills babies." Another added, "We don't like him because he is black." Ignorance still exists and it leaks its way into the classroom. Of course, this conversation got added to the "Parent Meeting Agenda". Seriously parents! What are you telling these innocent children?

I wanted to follow up with Evan a bit about his day at school yesterday. "So, did your teacher talk about the new President yesterday at school?" Yes. "Did you learn anything new?" No. Is there anything you want to talk about or ask me." Thinking.......no. I figure I will let that one go for now.

All in all, I am pleased at the conversations I have had and the ones I have heard about our new leader. There certainly is something to be said for that charismatic person who can so eloquently inspire and lead others to want to be better. I am excited for the years ahead and predict today that this will be our leader until Evan is 13 years old.

No comments:

Followers