Sunday, November 30, 2008

Happy for No Reason

Recently a show was listed in the TV guide that caught my eye, "Happy for No Reason." I decided to record it. I give the plug to Marci, in case anyone wants to find her books...

The overall message in the show, which was part documentary and part infomercial, is that happiness is a skill; it doesn't just happen, or happen once and stay forever. Like exercise you must do things continually that make you happy. You are responsible for your happiness. It is something that you can master and practice.

Long story short, we all have a "happiness set-point" -that level of happiness we seem to hover at again and again. (Sort of like your weight on a scale.) One example... Research has shown that even after winning the lottery, people report to being no more or no less happy than they were a year ago.

Marci reports (based on brain research) that 50% of our happiness is genetic. It's our disposition. We add to that 10% which comes from Life Circumstance, and the other 40% is from Intentional Activity. (I think some people allow Life Circumstance to take on a larger percentage, but that is attitude.)

Intentional Activity!? That is my middle name! Almost half of our happiness is by choice! Isn't' this the best news ever?! I am so on board with this woman, she is singing my song! Life is about living, about enjoying, about embracing the moment. Carpi Diem. Seize the day! Yes, yes! She noted taht giving is one of those things that makes the heart and happiness grow.

Despite life circumstance we all have the capacity to be quite happy. Isn't that great news! It really is a matter of attitude. No surprise that those who are in the practice of having an "attitude of gratitude" are among the happiest of all. (Well happy day, I am doing pretty good!)

So no matter what "10% - Life Circumstance," may throw my way, I am armed with 90% that is ready to take it and run. (And if you feel a little more challenged, practice doing for others, leave someone's day better, brighter, and watch what happens to your own.)

1 comment:

Heather said...

HERE, HERE! Sounds like living with abundance to me!

Followers