Sunday, September 12, 2010

Allowance

Recently I've been reading up on 7 year olds. I realized that I had done a lot of reading on, "What to Expect When You're Expecting," and "The Toddler Years," but somewhere along the way I dropped the ball on reading 'what comes next.' So, I picked up a great book at the library about the behavior and development of 5 -12 year olds. Kind of nice to see that things here are normal, that other moms (and dads) are facing the same challenges.

Part of what I read got me thinking about allowance. I had an allowance growing up. I don't recall the specifics, or how much, but I do remember it was FRIDAY that I got paid on. So, I read the 'rules' in the book on allowance, and it was confirmed in an article a friend shared, so I decided this week - back to school week- was the week to give it a try.

Non-chore based allowance. $1 on Friday. 10% goes to charity of his choice (He picked his school) 15% goes to savings (This is for an RV - don't laugh - he's serious about this one!) and the rest is his to do as he chooses. The purpose of this allowance is to teach the value of a dollar, how to save, how to give to others, and so on. For many reasons, it's recommended that it's not based on chores...I agreed with what I read and so that's that.

(Now, there are chores mind you, they do have to get done, and a happy heart while doing them might earn some "yes" answers when you want something...to stay up for 10 more minutes, etc. It's all in the attitude. This week, the chores went off with a HUGE success. Happy heart the whole way. Dressed, bed made and teeth brush before coming downstairs...feed the cat before the TV goes on. After school, unpack your own back and put lunch dishes away, feed the cat...later, read to mom for 15, and do the bedtime routine. Tuesday - trash, Sat - dust or bathrooms depending on the week, and Sun.- organize your toys/room. Yesterday was a trip to DQ for a dipped cone for a special thanks for the happy helpful attitude!!)

So...he'd cashed in some coins he'd had for bills and added this to his .75 for the week. It's in a Zip-lock bag in my purse...today he announced he wanted to go buy gum later. I told him that if I had a coupon he could use it. He sees me use them all the time. I found one...Trident (yeah...sugarless!) buy 3 save $1.00. AND...wait...I have a double coupon for Albertson's. So make that save $2.00. He was soooooooo jazzed. We had to go buy his gum before I did any of my own shopping. The man at the cash register complimented Evan on being a smart shopper with his coupons and Evan got to see he saved more than he spent!! Great lesson learned. I love how 7 year olds, "get it." :)

No comments:

Followers