
I planned an adventure for Mark and I while Heather had the boys at the circus...a hike. A little out of my usual, but something I have really wanted to do for some time.

This hike started off near Bonneville Dam and went along this stream nearly the whole way. It's nice to be rewarded visually the whole time.

Around the corner...a surprise...a waterfall coming down a rock wall as we walked over the little bridge. Very nice.


I'm such a freak for trees! This is my favorite...the moss covered trees that looks eerie and mystical all at the same time. Beautiful!

The trail ended up having a 200 ft elevation change which was just about perfect for me.

At the end of the hike...THIS. The roar was fantastic, and chill of the mist and the breeze let you know the power of that water. I would have loved to jump in and swim, but it really was soooo cold. I loved that there was nothing between me and the falls. No wall, no fence, no sign. Just me and the water. I could have walked out as far as I wanted...or swam.

This is the little bridge going back...love it.


Hike #2 of the day took place at Oneonta Gorge at exit #35. I didn't know if we'd really do this one that day, but I wanted to see it, see how people were dressed and maybe give it a go.

As we walked in we can begin to see the log jam that I had read about.

Walk that log, climb up that boulder (that was the scary part for me...thought I would slip) and then...

Negotiate THIS log jam! There's no going around. You go over, and under, and any way you can. It's like someone dropped a box of toothpicks in the middle of a narrow space. Toothpicks being LOGS, and small space being this narrow gorge. Most were not dressed for this. Many were in church clothes and headed back.

Many didn't know that they would have to walk though waist high water in order to reach the falls. Most turned back. Mark and I pressed on and had the place to ourselves. I think we got lucky. I have read, and heard, that this place is usually packed.


Sometimes it was knee-deep, and then we'd be out. Then it was 3 feet deep or better! Cold. We laughed the whole way. Mark tried to hike his shorts up. I thought that was funny since I could tell they were soaked. There's no staying dry in this situation. Just deal with it.

And...another great waterfall. No signs, barriers, or fences. I was on a high. I loved every minute of these hikes, and visually, there were tops! Must sees for sure. Lucky me, there are just 45 minutes away.

Time to turn around, and head back...log jam...here we come...
No comments:
Post a Comment