The house was a little more quiet than usual with a 6 year old in the house, which always means something is up. I went to investigate and behind closed doors I found my little boy with the electric screwdriver and a small Matchbox type car that lights up when you press the roof.
I know as a teacher to encourage this 'teachable moment' even it means the car will then be scrap metal. I explain that and Evan says, "It's just a junk car from Dollar Tree anyway, I just want to see how the light works."
So I take him downstairs and give him a place to work and find a tool with a smaller Phillips head. He goes to work, and with a little help from Mom and serious concentration on his part, he works his way through and find the circuit. Red wire, green wire. Just like his train.
He got what he was looking for, the car wound up in the trash can, and I know, that this is just the beginning of taking things apart. I think it's a boy thing.
As I write this, the little girls are outside working on a dance routine that they have been practicing for 2 days. Too cute. 4 years old, 7 and 11. They are being instructed by a 9 year old who has been dancing for years and considers herself to be the choreographer. Mark, Evan and I joined a few others for a "show" this afternoon that lasted less than 30 seconds but reminded me of my own childhood. Taking apart things with a screwdriver, not so much.



No comments:
Post a Comment