There's been construction going on at the main inetersection near our house and we can hear it at night, if you listen. There's nothing going on by day, but Evan has noticed the trucks just sitting there. He wondered why nobody is ever on them. This lead to a conversation about how things work, why people work at night, etc.
Tonight, at bedtime, I hear the trucks and I see the lights. It's almost bedtime, but I ask anyway, "Do you want to ride our bikes down there and check it out?"
So we went. "One more minute ok Mom?" I watched and waited.
"Another one minute ok? Just one?" We watched.
"What is that truck doing? What is he squirting out of the back of that truck? (It's a 'tack truck' we later learned.) and the list of questions went on. So we sat down on the curb. Well don't you know some nice man in his 50's come over and is the kind of guy who is happy to answer a thousand or so questions asked from a 5 year old. Brett must have answered a zillion, and then he added..."And the BIG dump truck with the asphalt is on it's way...It will be here in 15 minutes!"
Evan about had whiplash..."Mom, can we stay for just 15 more minutes?" I could have done without the smell, but it was sort of interesting, so I didn't mind. Then a fire truck went by with the bells and whistles. "Mom, this is like A PARADE!" 90 minutes later we were on our way. Happy boy, new knowledge of these special trucks. Mission accomplished.



No comments:
Post a Comment