Several years back, when Evan was really little (as if 5 isn't little enough) we were coming home from somewhere when we encountered a parade of fire trucks at night, driving slowly with all the bells and whistles going. I encouraged Mark to follow and see what was going on. We detoured through neighborhoods to get to the front of this parade and got out with little Evan as the "Operation Santa" firetruck parade came our way. Several trucks, and and a vintage engine with Santa on his sleigh. We quickly learned this annual event is a toy and food drive that the local fire departments put on. I decided then to never miss this fun. It's good for me, and it's good for my boy. (Plus, if you really know me, then you already know that I'm pretty tight with Santa because my Dad worked for him when I was little! So if Santa is going to be there, sign me up!)
I Googled "Operation Santa," printed the map of tonight's route and called Heather up for some fun. She was game and is getting really good at saying, "Yes!"
After dinner, with our 2 wild (they are only like this when they are together) boys we loaded into Heather's SUV and set out to see 'Christmas lights.' At least it's what we told the boys we were doing. (If you ever told your child you were going to do something fun and had to suffer by hearing, "When are we going to see it, when does it start, how much longer..." then you understand why we left this to be a complete surprise to them.)
And then I see a red flash of light and we get closer to give the boys a better look. They still aren't sure why there are so many firetrucks...
Then I let the cat out of the bag and the boys can't wait to park the car and get out to watch. We tell them what a "food and toy drive" and why it's so important to give to others who don't have enough food or money to buy toys. Then we arm the boys with food and a new toy as we watch the firetrucks pass by.
Bye Santa.



1 comment:
That looks like so much fun! Thank you again Rhonda for having me at your cookie exchange. I had a blast and you have wonderful friends and a great family. Hope to see you soon, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Post a Comment