Monday, April 16, 2012

Our Cub Scout

 In April Evan joined Cub Scouts.  We'd heard such great things about scouts, so we went to a 'Pack Meeting,' which is a once a month thing where all the different age groups are together.  Evan saw lots of friends from his school and wanted to wear the same shirts and hat they did.  I told him we'd have to sign him up.
Ben, his friend since Kindergarten, helped Evan put on his scarf.  This is very serious business.  Just look at the concentration on Ben's face.  I don't know why we didn't sign Evan up sooner.  He is such a lover of camping, the great outdoors, exploring, etc.  This is a natural fit for him.
 Evan entered the raffle and was the first one drawn.  He got his #1 pick - the flashlight that clips to his hat!   I love this picture so much.  Such sweetness in his face and the joy of having won what he wanted!  There really could not be a more perfect prize for my kid.  I swear he collects flashlights, but this one is the coolest yet!


The next month it was time for the Regatta Rain Gutter Races.  We bought the kit, took tips from other Cub Scouts on Youtube.com.  Evan's painting the boat that would go on to win 3rd place in the pack, and 1st in his Den.  He was other the moon.  He earned a cool pin for his uniform that looks like something you'd wear in the military: a red, white and blue ribbon with a sailboat charm hanging on it.  Very official.


Evan attended his first Cub Scout fishing outting in May.  The place was packed with kids and their families. Evan enjoyed learning to cast and seemed a natural at it.  His very first cast was better than any that I had attempted.  I guess I should hold comments like, "This is kind of tricky."  Speak for myself, right?

In June we were out of town when the scouts had their promotion meeting.  Evan is now a Bear Scout, that's what the 3rd graders are called.  We passed down the gold hat and scarf, and received a light blue one for the coming year.  More good times await him in the next school year.

No comments:

Followers