It's amazing to me how 5 or 6 amazing teachers need me to sub for them as much as they do. On top of that, there's those that need me twice or, and the rest of whom I really don't know, and have never met, but the system finds me takes care of the rest.
During this past school year I have given extra special attention to the relationships I have at the schools I teach in. I decided early on that this was the year to do a little something extra, something sweet, and by that, I mean COOKIES.
Maeve said she always used to take her 'Ginger Cookies' to school and that her co-workers would gobble them up. The first time I tried one, I thought they were okay, but they quickly grew on me, and I have to admit, the are pretty terrific especially right off the cooling rack! When considering which cookie I should make, this one seemed a no-brainer.
I am not certain how many batches of cookies I have made this year. I am sort of glad I didn't count. I always made triple batches and always had frozen dough around for fresh cookies for my teachers. From time to time I would leave huge plates of cookies in the teachers' lounge and every time I would find them empty by day's end. Gone. Not a crumb. I always left 2 cookies on the teachers desk along with my card.
As the year went on, teacher's began to notice this little tradition I had created for myself and began looking forward to my cookies. MY cookies, are Maeve's cookies, and I give her the credit. www.thegingercookie.blogspot.com is the website I share with those who are curious about the cookie and want the recipe.
At the end of the year, it only seemed fitting to take in more big plates of cookies to share with the staff and special packages of cookies with Starbucks gift cards for those who call on me again, and again, and again.
I figure I must have baked 18-20 dozen during that last week of school. One oven, one dozen at a time, 10 minutes to cook, oh it took so long. But in the end, it was worth it.
I think the thing that makes these cookies a favorite is an emotional connection brought on by the taste or smell of the cookie. When people eat them, they say one of 2 things: "My mom used to make these," or "These smell like Christmas." Hey if I can deliver something that 'Mom used to make, or bring a little Christmas to people, I think that is great!
My oven is on vacation. I'll preheat it in Sept.



No comments:
Post a Comment