Friday, August 6, 2010

1st Annual Mother / Son Camping Trip

Heather and I set out for an adventure to Detroit Lake Campground with the boys for 2 nights of camping. The ride couldn't have been any more beautiful or fun. We listened to Lady Gaga much of the way there and the way back and I have added a few songs that we enjoyed for your listening pleasure. I love how music can take you back, and now these songs are a part of my, 'Camping with the Rikes' memories.

This was my first time camping without Mark and being 'in charge' of things. Funny...the work, and what I did felt exactly the same as when I camp with him. What's wrong with this picture?
Evan and Pierce enjoyed the playground...
Pictures never do it justice. Our little 'home away from home,' on the lake. I am super proud of my kid. He's been camping since he was a year old and he embraces all that makes it 'camp life.' He wears the dirt, palys in the water, pokes at the fire, and at 7 he can really help me with putting up the tent and taking it down, and all the things that need a helper. I told him he would have some big responsibilities since Daddy wasn't there.

The beaches, were not beaches, but rocks. Wear shoes and you seem to forget about it. Evan and I enjoyed swimming and when I asked what his favorite part of the whole trip was..."Swimming, meeting new friends (the 6th grade girls in the swimming area who pulled him around on his little raft) and watching the shooting star." I asked him this question several times to see if he was firm on his answer and it was the same every time. I love the way he makes friends everywhere he goes..."What's your name, how old are you, etc." Love it.


Here's the little path that led us from our site to the lake. 30 feet or so and you're there. We couldn't have asked for more.



Heather and sat with our chairs in the water much of the time. Nice breeze, warm air, kids in the water, great view, even better conversation...Life is good.

Evan spent his time in the water on his raft or catching little baby fish in a plastic cup. He loves the water. The water was so shallow where we were at and the current was coming at our shore which was a win for all of us. Nobody is going to float away.


My friend Heather in a borrowed camouflage fest makes her look like she's been camping her whole life. It's a good act. She did great and even outdid Evan and me by sleeping outside on a cot with Pierce. Me...I like the privacy of my tent, and a place to change my clothes.
My favorite part of camping was the girl time, when we found it. Talking, laughing, Qwirkle, Yahtzee!! and Rummy by lantern, sitting with our feet in the water and enjoying each other and the view. (My least favorite part was when we had to behave like mothers. I'll say no more. I like it better when I am just behaving as me.)


The view of Mt. Jefferson from our site was perfection. This looks like similar shots of Mt. Hood from Timothy Lake. THIS lake was a lot warmer, the air was warmer, the site was noisier due to highway 22 being right there, but I would camp here again, and maybe even pick the same site. B23.

The boys found tremendous joy in things that truly make them boys. Throwing rocks in the water, poking sticks at the fire, and making boy noises. I'll say, 'No thanks,' to all three. Well, I might try and skip a free rocks, but throwing rocks for the sake of throwing rocks...nah.
After dinner each night it was time to get down to business....S'mores. This year I stumbled upon these super-huge marshmallows called Campfire Roasters. They are HUGE. I doubt anyone could get one in their mouth whole. When it comes to s'mores, I can really take 'em or leave 'em, but this time, I was in love.

That's one marshmallow toasted to perfection by my awesome little camper. This one was MINE!

That is a s'more smile...

And here's the girl who doesn't like to eat with her fingers and get all messy. Isn't she cute all sticky with marshmallow?! They really were pretty good. 2 more weeks from today we 3 go camping again.
Good times. I can almost smell the smoke from the campfire just by looking at these pictures. But, the laundry is clean and so am I. I am rested now and that is a great thing. Camping is great, but there is nothing like you're own bed!

1 comment:

Heather said...

YEA!! Great posting ... lots of fun memories. Thanks!

Followers