Thursday, July 1, 2010

Fern Hill Cemetery

Mark has always been intrested in knowing his family history. His grandfather - Chester James left behind some great information in the way of a journal of sorts. Names, and dates. Marriages of family members and interesting stories. Mark used what he knew, made a few phone calls, did some looking online and was able to find the cemetery where his great-grandparents are buried in Aberdeen, Wa. With a desire to know more, and the curiosity to see it all, we went to Aberdeen to do some looking around.

V>Scott and Maeve met us there and we spent a few hours looking around Ferm Hill cemetery. Chester's journal had indiated that his parents were there and other family members were 'planted there too.'

This is where the James, in Evan James, comes from. Perhaps it goes back even more generations. James Stevens 1881- 1957 is Evan's great great- grandfather. Chester James Stevens, Craig James, Scott James, Evan James.... it's pretty neat to see it there all those generations ago.
0psLek/s400/Fern+Hill+102.JPG"> Maeve stands with her sons, and grandson at her paternal grandparents' grave. Marie and James Stevens.
As we discussed family members, names, dates, and tried to connect the dots, I wondered who will come find my grave? Who will sit at my grave, having never met me 100 years from now, and remove the dirt and grass. Who will say, there she is... It gave me a nice feeling to know that these people, Marie and James, somehow might be smiling down knowing that family who they knew, and some that they had never met, thought it was important enough to come here, come together, and see, and remember.



Once back in the car, we were off to try and found the house that Marie and James would have lived in all those years ago, and the house that Chester James would have lived in as an infant and child. Scott nearly gave up the search. He pulled into an unknown drive and was prepared to turn around and call it a day when my Domino's Pizza delivery-girl skills kicked in. Based on the address of the drive we were in, I knew we were close, though on the wrong street. Back up...turn right, and what do you know. There was the street, and there was the house. The man who lives there now came out and we asked him a few questions. The house was built in 1912, it had been updated, added to, and raised from the ground to create a basement. It's not the same house, but it is the house, the yard, the street where Chester James and his parents lived so many years ago. Kind of neat to look up and down the street and invision this man as a boy doing things that boys will do, on this street, in this yard.
Since our little trip, Mark's been busy trying to find more, connect more dots and it's amazing how it's all coming together. Makes me want to know where I came from. I know a little, but I want to know more, and I want to have it written down for Evan. With my dad being adopted, that's where my story ends. I am asked all the time,"What nationality are you?" I know they are wondering where my perpetually darkened skin comes from. I am a shade seeker and yet this skin of mine browns up with so little sun. What am I? I think I need to call Dad and find out where he was adopted from and see what I can find about where I come from. What am I?
Because of the digging Mark has done, and the info that was left by Chester, Evan will have records going back to great great grandparents on Maeve's dad's side, and great great great great on Maeve's Mom's side. I want to have as much to offer Evan from my side.




No comments:

Followers